Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Practical Altruism

     It's funny how I get these (what I think are) new, big ideas. Then I plug the words into a search engine and tada, other people have already written about these things. Unfortunately for me, the articles that I want to read on 'practical altruism' cost me too much money to buy. So I get to decide what this means to me, without any other input.
     I was on a walk in this lovely, fall, brisk air, when these words popped into my brain – practical altruism. I want to really help the world in a big, practical way. I shouldn't have to be Bill Gates or Warren Buffet rich to do it, nor should I have to have the tireless body and soul of Mother Theresa. Why can't I just do something to save the world? I believe in the saying that if you see a need, fill it. So I give a few measly dollars here and few measily hours there. I do the best I can to be a decent person, taking care of the people and the earth around me. But I want to do something more. Shouldn't I be able to do that from where I am with what I've got? I'm just a regular person, with the regular health, wealth, and wisdom problems.
     There has to be something I can do!

No comments:

Post a Comment